Saturday, June 21, 2008

Post-its*TM Anyone?

I wanted to explain why I've decided to blog more. I'm blogging for the little details. Earlier this month I went to a movie with Don and Randy. Then I got one of those "Getting to Know Your Friends" emails and one of the questions was, "what is the last movie you saw?" I sat and thought about it and realized I didn't even know which movie we had gone to see. I asked Randy what movie it was and she said we saw the new Raiders movie. I had wanted to see that and I can honestly say that I don't remember a single scene from it. I remember Don lending me his jacket because I was cold and my adjusting it to better cover my shoulders; I can remember turning down popcorn from Randy, but I literally don't remember anything about the movie itself!

This memory thing is likely due to the fibro, which magnifies my pain. Some of the pain is from fibro, some is caused by other problems; besides the fibro I have osteoarthritis in my neck and back, as well as the cyst that is displacing the nerve at S1 and spinal stenosis. Oh, and at least one rotator cuff tear, we are setting up a 2nd MRI to check the other shoulder, which also hurts at the approx. same place. The way it was described to me is that the pain engages your brain and you don't take in the surroundings or events that are occurring during that period. This all came to a head earlier this week, when my bff wanted to know why I wasn't returning her calls anymore. So we discussed my memory problems and I told her I'd send her an email, based on my blogging, a minimum of twice a week and call her every week or so. Hopefully this will give the rest of my friends a better chance to keep up on my life as well!

Anyway, I guess I'm consistent in my opinions, because I'll make a comment and Randy will tell me that I've already said that a number of times. Usually I do remember it after she says that. But I'm sure it's as frustrating for her as it is for me and, potentially, for other friends as well. So I'm trying to remember things by writing them down. Thus more blogging and I have a little notebook -plus- I gots post-its!

We finally got ahold of the vet and it turns out that what was described to Randy as pain medication is also an anti-inflammatory. She hadn't been giving it to Skittle because Skittle didn't seem to be in any pain. So hopefully that will make a difference, the poor thing looks like a cartoon character with a bee sting, it sticks out and has an almost pointy look!

Besides running late with Taylor's story, I am just now getting around to a Father's Day gift. I didn't call either, but he keeps forgetting my birthday, so I don't think he'll mind. I got him a little digital photo frame with temp, time, date display and I preloaded it with family photos for him. I know his gf won't let him have pictures of Mom in the house, so I guess he'll have to keep it at work. To me that is just another sign of how heartless that woman is. He had a 26 year marriage with Mom and of course he still has feelings for her, whether or not he has pictures. It doesn't keep him from caring for his gf. He can't bring Mom back and she's been gone for over 20 years now. But it's a part of his life, whether the gf likes it or not. Hopefully that is as acrimonious as I'll get about this situation!

I decided to change my blog's look. Hope you like it. Greens and blues for the summer, besides which, I want it to remind me of my commitment to living green. I was already trying to live green, all three of us have been. We usually only put one barrel of trash out a week. We recycle paper, tin, glass and plastic. We donate our returnable plastic bottles and aluminum cans to the chorus, that program makes about an extra $1,000 a year for the chorus' treasury! I also compost our food scraps. If I were healthier I would probably set it up for worms, but my back barely tolerates the composting I do now. I don't know why, but activities that require me to stand and reach forward really, really hurt my back. I dropped a few things in there yesterday and my back was spasming so bad! It's why I can't do dishes and sometimes it affects me when I do the laundry too.

I'll post again in a few days, hasta la vista....

No comments: